The Best of Kenya
8 days / 7 nights
This 7-day road safari, which features both traditional safari lodges and a luxury tented camp experience, contrasts the Afro-Alpine scenery of the world-famous Aberdare National Park with the starkly arid beauty of the northern Samburu district. It also showcases the renowned Masai Mara National Reserve and the glory of Lake Nakuru National Park, home to over one million flamingos. Meet with the local Samburu and Maasai tribes, and enjoy Kenyan hospitality at some of the finest game lodges in the country.
Day one : Arrive in Nairobi
Day two : In the mountains of Aberdares
8:00 AM : Check out of your hotel in Nairobi
8:30 AM : Drive to Aberdare National Park
11:30 AM : Lunch at the Aberdare Country Club
1:00 PM : Check in to The Ark, a secluded game lodge designed to resemble Noah's Ark. Note: Only an overnight bag is allowed. Rest of the luggage will be stored at Aberdare Country Club.
Day three : Aberdare to Samburu
8:00 AM : Check out of The Ark in Aberdare
8:15 AM : Pick up your luggage at Aberdare Country Club
8:30 AM : Drive to Samburu
11:30 AM : Check in to Sarova Shaba Game Lodge
1:00 PM : Afternoon Game Drive, Samburu National Reserve
Day four : On Safari in the Shaba Reserve, Samburu
Day five : Samburu to Lake Nakuru
7:00 AM : Check out of the Sarova Shaba Game Lodge
7:15 AM : Drive to Lake Nakuru
1:00 PM : Check in to the Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge
2:00 PM : Afternoon Game Drive in Nakuru
Day six : Lake Nakuru to the Masai Mara
7:00 AM : Check out of the Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge in Nakuru
7:15 AM : Drive to the Masai Mara National Reserve
11:30 AM : Check in to the Sarova Mara Game Camp
12:00 PM : Lunch at the Sarova Mara Game Camp
1:00 PM : Afternoon Safari in The Mara
Day seven : Full day Safari in the Mara
6:00 AM : Hot Air Ballooning, Masai Mara
8:00 AM : Breakfast at the Sarova Mara Game Camp
9:00 AM : Full Day Safari in the Mara
6:00 PM : Dinner with Cultural talks at the Sarova Mara Game Camp
Day eight : Return to Nairobi
7:00 AM : Check out of the Sarova Mara Game Camp
7:30 AM : Depart for Nairobi (either by road or flight)
Key sights to see
Exciting and memorable things to do
Great places to stay
The oldest hotel in Nairobi, dating back to 1902, Sarova Stanley is one of the few five star luxury hotels in Nairobi. It has played host to prominent world leaders and celebrities including Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor, Sir Winston Churchill, and Ernest Hemingway. The hotel’s elegantly appointed rooms offer great views of Nairobi.
Built to resemble Noah’s Ark, The Ark floats amid the forests of Aberdare National Park, joined to the world by its own wooden drawbridge. With three levels of viewing decks, guests can catch an incredibly up-close view of large herds of elephant, as well as a glimpse of the snow-capped peak of Mount Kenya.
Sarova Shaba Game Lodge is located in a natural oasis in the heart of the Shaba Game Reserve just east of Samburu. Set along the bank of the Ewaso Nyiro River, the Lodge has a virtual mini forest of indigenous trees. Activities include walking safaris, bird walks and a visit to the local village.
Nestled along Lion Hill, overlooking the spectacular flamingo pink rimmed Lake Nakuru, Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge offers 64 tastefully decorated en-suite chalets, each with its own balcony and view of the lake. There is also a spacious central dining room, a charming pool deck, a spa and gift shop.
- Ground transportation in Kenya
- Wildlife Reserve & National Park Entrance Fees
- Experienced Safari Guides
- Accommodation for 6 nights
- Flights to and from Kenya
- Personal Meals & Beverages
- Visa: All nationals require visas for Kenya. The cost of a visa is US $50 per person per entry. We recommend attaining visas in advance, although visas are also available upon arrival in Kenya.
- Climate: The climate in general is hot and sometimes humid. From December to March, when the north-east monsoon blows, it is hot and humid. In April and May heavy rains occur with June to October being the coolest and driest period. Temperatures range between 25 degrees and 35 degrees Celsius and annual rainfall is about 20mm.
- Baggage Allowance: Baggage is restricted to 15kg per person on the domestic flights within East Africa. Soft-sided luggage or duffels are preferable to hard luggage for storage on safari vehicles and on aircraft used within Africa. Large suitcases of dimensions greater than 24" x 17"x 7" are impossible to store in vehicles and on aircraft and should not be used. (Baggage and personal effects are at owner's risk throughout the tour and baggage insurance for members is strongly recommended.
- Insurance: You are strongly advised to take out adequate insurance against all risks for an adequate sum.